Tour of pillar and parkland
The monument and grounds are normally closed to the public, but a lucky few had exclusive access by booking the tour through Caistor’s Arts and Heritage Centre.
The group heard the 128ft high pillar was built to mark the planting of 12.5 million trees. The pillar used as a meeting point for Lord Yarborough’s family and guests during pleasure rides through woodlands designed by Capability Brown.
From the viewing tower at the top, the pillar gave guests views to the south, east, north and west. On Sunday, the guests could make out the Humber Bridge Crossing and Lincoln Cathedral.
Construction on Pelham’s Pillar began in 1840 and was not complete until 1849. Portland Stone was shipped to the Humber, and farmers and their workers helped to transport the stone to the site.
Sunday’s party followed a six mile circular walk through the tranquil grounds, with the only sounds being their quiet conversation and a woodpecker. The group paused halfway through for a picnic.
The top picture shows Jessica Wall with the key to the pillar, with the next being the narrow stairwell at the very top of the tower.